11 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:26 am

Hillside looks a little odd in the fog at take-off, but otherwise "I think" this weather is more appropriate for the area ... a little snow and then some green??

Great fun flying the water ways of Scotland ... so many to enjoy.  Just wanted to fly today, no plan ... no fuel too ... ooops!

1440p should be available .

Cheers, Rob.

• Paul Webster and Nick Svejdal like this

Rob.

#2 Too Low Terrain

Too Low Terrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:56 pm

Wow! Thanks for that video Rob, I really enjoyed it.

P3DV2 really has the potential to take the experience further - it really did look real at times! ;)

Are those REX4 clouds you're using?

Martin

#3 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:02 pm

Wow! Thanks for that video Rob, I really enjoyed it.

P3DV2 really has the potential to take the experience further - it really did look real at times! ;)

Are those REX4 clouds you're using?

Martin

Thanks Martin, yes those are REX 4 clouds.  Having mixed results with weather engines, so I'm sorta just making my own weather until the patch is released that fixes weather issues.

Rob.

#4 Too Low Terrain

Too Low Terrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:42 pm

Yeah, I know where you're coming from with those weather engines Rob. I think that I'm waiting on Active Sky to release their P3DV2 version - seems like the best weather engine at the moment (according to all who sing its praise)

What I liked about the video Rob was, you kept it 'as is', rather than try to show things from angles you normally don't see when flying (I'm referring to a lot of FTX videos, where I see the view from down in the grass, or where they change the camera views too often - they can look nice, but you don't see it like that when you're just flying). I'll think that I will shut up now, I'm prattling on too much about nothing! :blink:

Cheers

Martin

#5 Christopher Low

Christopher Low

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:26 pm

You make perfect sense, Martin. It's why I think that PeopleFlow is fine, but ButterflyFlow and MosquitoFlow is just silly.

#6 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:50 pm

What I liked about the video Rob was, you kept it 'as is', rather than try to show things from angles you normally don't see when flying...

Cheers

Martin

To be honest, I don't spend much time on making my videos (just don't have the time) and I try to keep it "as is" -- no special editing or post production work.  For the most part I use only two cyclic views (fixed spot and VC to help reduce VAS usage) ... occasionally I use alternate views if I'm trying to demonstrate something specific (I sometimes like to go into passenger view if available, or tower view when it comes to a landing).

I know some people are very passionate about FS video production and will spend weeks (even months) making a short video ... to each his or her own, if that's what they like to do, more power to'em.  I try to represent a rather "normal" (whatever that might be) end user experience covering all kinds of situations.

You make perfect sense, Martin. It's why I think that PeopleFlow is fine, but ButterflyFlow and MosquitoFlow is just silly.

I don't even know what that is ... camera angle references?

Edited by Rob Ainscough, 30 January 2014 - 06:51 pm.

Rob.

#7 Christopher Low

Christopher Low

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:26 am

It's the animated stuff in ORBx packages.

#8 Too Low Terrain

Too Low Terrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:20 pm

@ Rob - What I like about 'as it is' videos, is that I can get a true perspective of certain products that I may be interested in purchasing. I've seen ,many FTX videos (and some are really good), but when I try that particular addon, I don't get the same sensation as what I've seen in those videos. That's why I prefer videos such as yours. ;)

@ Chris - Yeah, I've stopped using ORBX products as you're right, all that 'flow' looks good in videos, but wears off pretty quick. I much prefer Photoscenery - just wished we had a flightsim that could handle all of it! :ph34r:

#9 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:50 am

...just wished we had a flightsim that could handle all of it! :ph34r:

I think we will, LM realize that P3D needs to move to 64bit and there just is no way we can do all this in a 32bit address space ... give it time.  LM's crew isn't very big, but LR's crew is even smaller ... if I had to bet on a single platform winner, I'd go with LM ... but it's healthy to keep multiple platforms going ... at least I think it is?  Maybe not?  Maybe they should combine forces since we're a pretty small market ... who knows.

I'm not sure why the BGL format needs to change for 64bit but according to Beau (at LM) it will need to change and hence a big compatibility change.  What I'm sorta confused about is 3rd party position of compatibility and why it matters that much to them ... maybe you Sim720 folks can clear it up for me?  I would "think" a 64bit path is a opportunity to re-sell updates to existing products.  Is the fear that people will not pay for 64bit updates?  My hunch is that's an attempt at consumer leverage, people always seem to pay for quality ... but that's just my experience.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen/read end users say the will never buy "XYZ" because they are charging for an upgrade ... only to see a few weeks later after the reviews have been exceptionally positive they're posting screen shots with the product they said they would never buy. ;)  (heard and seen that many times)

Rob

Edited by Rob Ainscough, 03 February 2014 - 06:53 am.

Rob.

#10 Too Low Terrain

Too Low Terrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:24 pm

Yeah , I hear that LM are looking at a 64bit version, but that could be some time me thinks. They've still go to sort out the 32bit version first, and who knows how long that could take? :blink:

Regarding BGL's, I must admit that I'm a bit confused on this one. Some people have said that BGL's won't work in a 64bit, whilst others say that they will, and that the only problem will be with the Aircraft. :wacko: I've seen a video where someone is using fsx scenery in X plane 10, but I can't be sure as to which version. I think it was the 64bit, but I can't be sure on that.

Still, I'm gonna enjoy P3dV2 (32bit), until the 64bit version comes along ( or if X plane 10 should reach the same level as we're used to with fsx) .

#11 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:27 pm

Agree, 32bit needs to get sorted first, hopefully the patch will be out this week to fix the more obvious issues, but it's still very enjoyable "as is".

There are tools that will convert FSX scenery to XP10, but they aren't always successful.  It would be an interesting idea to have LM and LR combine into a single resource ... it'll probably never happen, but I think it would be good for end users/simmers if it did.  Austin could still retain "his" flight model (blade element theory) and just plug it into the P3DV2 core ... as I understand it, this can be done now in P3DV2.  Would be pretty nice idea to be able to switch flight models in one single product.

I'm guessing the BGL issue is perhaps related to the world coordinate system that would now be 64bit so nothing would "map out" correctly ... just a guess so don't take this as me knowing anything :)

Rob.

#12 Too Low Terrain

Too Low Terrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:21 pm

Tend to agree with you there Rob, about how it would be nice to have LM & LR become one (it would save us from scratching our heads, trying to work out which one would be better). Still, maybe it would be better to have a choice, I just don't know!!

I'm sure am hoping that LM can get that 1st patch out soon, as I'm just about to do a reinstall of P3DV2. I have to use P3D now, as FSX will no longer work on my system since I updated Windows 7 :rolleyes:

Once that 64bit edition is released, we will soon know what work or doesn't work ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users