Photo
Active

P3DV2.2 - Santa Barbara Performance and Visual issues?

Active

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:07 pm

Hey all,

I'm having a real problem with Santa Barbara on two fronts:

1.  Performance (even with 1.1 update)

2.  Visuals (nothing is blended)

I've turned off every option in the KSBA control panel and I'm still seeing 11 fps ?  Also, huge delays in loading of textures.  In contrast to EGEO, EGPE, EGPO perform reasonably well 30 fps or higher and visually look considerably better than KSBA.

The taxi ways don't appear blended at all, just flat gray?  Buildings seem very flat also, as if no bump map or textured weathering applied.  Nothing appears blended to the ground surface, building just sit on top and look unrealistic.  I see a lot of flickering which is usually an indication of object geometry issues (vertex or two not closing a gap in the base geometry or just a little out of position).  When I change aircraft all the airport textures reload ... this can take up to 2-3 minutes (i7 3960X @ 4.8 Ghz - Titan 6GB - SSDs).

I wanted to do a nice video to showcase this airport because your other airports I have are wonderful ... perhaps my expectations were too high for similar level of performance and quality?  Sorry to be so harsh for those that worked on this project, I'm sure a lot of effort was put into this airport, but it just doesn't seem to be up to the quality standards of other Sim720 airports.

Rob.

Rob.

#2 Christopher Low

Christopher Low

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:20 pm

Rob,

Your performance issues are certainly very strange. Your PC is more powerful than mine, and yet the lowest framerate I see with the version 1.1 update is 20fps when sitting at the 07 threshold with everything enabled (including animated people), all scenery sliders at maximum (apart from water at Mid.2.x), and 8xS AA/2x SGSS/16x AF active. That's with an i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz + 1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti + 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM powered system. With everything in the KSBA control panel switched off, I get 32fps at the 07 threshold, and up to 55fps elsewhere around the airport. I also don't have any texture loading problems, and the buildings look very nice to me!

EDIT: Ah, you are referring to P3D. I should have noticed that before replying!

Edited by Christopher Low, 17 May 2014 - 05:34 pm.

#3 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:42 pm

Rob, I am perplexed on this one as well. The reports I'm getting seem that lower spec machines are getting frame rates higher than some more tech savvy systems. One guy is actually getting 40-50 FPS with everything on. I will look into this and get back to you. Re your comments not harsh at all, we are currently mid build for Augusta and the ground poly there has much better blending. Let me get back to you on this. Re the buildings again 50/50 split on likes and dislikes.... But do appreciate your comments being aired then we know what we need to do. Let me have a team teal on this and get back to you.
Chris thanks for your comments.

#4 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:56 pm

Rob,

all scenery sliders at maximum (apart from water at Mid.2.x), and 8xS AA/2x SGSS/16x AF active.

Have you tried reinstalling it?

Hi Christopher ... sounds like you are using FSX if you have water at Mid.2.x (that's an FSX type setting not a P3D one)... I'm using P3DV2.2.  Do you know what texture formats were used in KSBA?  Beau (LM) has indicated that some formats can cause CPU rendering rather than GPU ... trying to locate the thread Beau mentioned this in on P3D forum ... can't seem to find it.

Yeah, I did try re-installing.  Even tried different video drivers just in case, but no luck.

Rob. 

Rob.

#5 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:59 pm

Let me have a team teal on this and get back to you.

Thanks Barry, appreciate the response support.  I'll stay tuned.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob.

#6 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:06 pm

First off moved to support forum.

second you should be getting much better frame rates than that, in testing i was getting 28-30fps with everything on.

Can you disable Ksba and tell me what fps you get at the default version?

As for texture loading nobody else has reported any problems and the textures are made the same way as they have been for all our airports so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Paul

#7 Bruce Hamilton

Bruce Hamilton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:53 pm

Unfortunately, all the issues I referenced in this topic are still present.  The updated scenery and library files made no difference.

Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

#8 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:50 am

Can you disable Ksba and tell me what fps you get at the default version?

Paul

Hi Paul,

44-45 fps with Sim720 KSBA disabled using same "clear weather" (no clouds) -- Orbx FTX Global and Vector 1.15.

For your reference:

Aerosoft Oslo 2.0 (v1.04) - 37 fps

Aerosoft Dublin (1.10) - 27 fps

Aerosoft Thessaloniki - 40 fps

Aerosoft Bergamo (1.01) - 32 fps

Fly Tampa St. Maarten (1.7) - 29 fps

Fly Tampa Dubai (2.1) - 33 fps

Orbx 05S - 32 fps

Orbx 11S - 37 fps

Orbx Paya - 33 fps

Tested all with same Graphics settings, same Aircraft, same date and time of day, same weather.

I have more airports if you need some more data points.

Perhaps it might be worth asking LM what could be causing this?  From other threads on the performance issue, it does appear that I'm not alone.

You can find my current settings here: http://www.robainsco...Settings_2.html - only difference is that I'm now using AF = 4X (not 16X).

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Rob Ainscough, 18 May 2014 - 05:51 am.

Rob.

#9 twharrell

twharrell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:54 am

I just installed v1.1 in P3Dv2.2 and I hate to say it, but runway lights are very dim. I did the VOR 25 approach and the runway edge lights weren't visible until I was less than 1/4 mile from the runway. Also, the new taxiway signs look like default signs,and the rotating beacon is still not visible.

#10 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:09 am

@rob Thanks will investigate further.

@twharrell The lights not working properly is a known issue in p3dv2 and LM are looking into it, that is also why you can't see the rotating beacon unless very close to it. also what fps are you getting in p3dv2?

@bruce so you get zero change in fps what so ever?

#11 Tenfour

Tenfour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:15 am

Rob, I am perplexed on this one as well. The reports I'm getting seem that lower spec machines are getting frame rates higher than some more tech savvy systems. One guy is actually getting 40-50 FPS with everything on. I will look into this and get back to you. Re your comments not harsh at all, we are currently mid build for Augusta and the ground poly there has much better blending. Let me get back to you on this. Re the buildings again 50/50 split on likes and dislikes.... But do appreciate your comments being aired then we know what we need to do. Let me have a team teal on this and get back to you.
Chris thanks for your comments.

Barry,

The fact that some people find no issue with the buildings is not the point. There's a clear quality drop which we would like addressed. Why are buildings suddenly using generic textures with no regard for light or blending? Why are ground textures suddenly using quick tiling textures, again with no regard for building placement or light? I realise you can't take too long on an airport, but when you ask for money, you need to give us a quality product.

From what Rob has posted, it seems the buildings were modelled in a rush too. Building geometry shouldn't be flickering either.

J

#12 Yomama

Yomama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:16 pm

Good afternoon,

I've been following the various threads here for the last couple of weeks but I've only just been able to jump through all the hoops to get my account registered.

First off let me say I don't own any of the current range of sim720-branded products though I do have the orbx Shoreham, Goodwood, Compton Abbas and Elstree - all of which were made by sim720 as I understand it.

What I don't understand is why those particular airports (and from what I can see of the screenshots your first few 'independent' releases) look so good and perform so well when Santa Babara - apparently - does not. What's changed? I found a clue in that sim720 did with flightsim.com from Janaury where you mentioned that you had "strengthened our expertise with much better modelling and artistic skills". I don't understand why a relatively young company which seems to be going from strength to strength would suddenly replace a proven team (I'm assuming it's a team and not just an individual - it's impossible to tell in the virtual world just how big/small a company really is). 

As a one-time local to KSBA - well sort of local, now back in the UK! - I was really excited by this development and I had intended to snap it up as soon as it was completed but once I saw these tech issues my heart sank a bit. 

I searched high and low for online reviews but not been able to track any down and there's very few screenshots posted anywhere. Does anyone know of a review, either completed or in progress?

Yo! (BC)

#13 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:49 pm

Yomana, only Shoreham Compton Abbas and Goodwood in the airports you referred to were modelled by SIM720.
There will be some reviews soon and we will give the links.

#14 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:53 pm

Barry,
The fact that some people find no issue with the buildings is not the point. There's a clear quality drop which we would like addressed. Why are buildings suddenly using generic textures with no regard for light or blending? Why are ground textures suddenly using quick tiling textures, again with no regard for building placement or light? I realise you can't take too long on an airport, but when you ask for money, you need to give us a quality product.
From what Rob has posted, it seems the buildings were modelled in a rush too. Building geometry shouldn't be flickering either.
J

Tenfour, there may be some issues but I do not agree that there is a clear quality drop. Can you advise what SIM720 airports you believe are superior in texture quality. Also your comment re no regard for building placement, please explain and I will follow up.

#15 Tenfour

Tenfour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:08 am

Tenfour, there may be some issues but I do not agree that there is a clear quality drop. Can you advise what SIM720 airports you believe are superior in texture quality. Also your comment re no regard for building placement, please explain and I will follow up.

I'm a bit baffled by this statement, as you should know what I'm talking about. Sim720 have been creating airports for over 2 years now, with some crackers for even Orbx. Now it feels like I'm talking to a whole different company. :(

#16 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:25 am

@Rob Just done some testing this end, using your settings.

Using version 1.0 I get a steady 10fps with everything on in the control panel and 40+fps with everything off.

Using version 1.1 I get a steady 20fps with everything on in the control panel and 40+fps with everything off.

The only difference is i don't have vector, can you try disabling vector and recheck just in-case there is a conflict.

Also i used the Carenado A36 Bonanza White aircraft for my testing as you didn't list an aircraft.

As for the flickering:

1. Is it the buildings themselves or is it the fence and/or street lights? I can only get the fence/street lights to flicker which i will look at.

2. Is the flickering worse since the update?

3. If it is the building any in particular?

I checked the texture reload on aircraft change and i too get it but it lasts for approx 10 seconds this is also the same for all the other airports i have installed. You system spec's are better than mine (i7 3770k @3.5Ghz, GTX 680 2GB, standard 3TB hdd) so you shouldn't have a problem. Could you try disabling our airport and change aircraft at the default version and see if it still does it?

Paul

#17 Christopher Low

Christopher Low

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:49 am

I'm a bit baffled by this statement, as you should know what I'm talking about. Sim720 have been creating airports for over 2 years now, with some crackers for even Orbx. Now it feels like I'm talking to a whole different company.

Barry is trying to help you here, so can you please try to help him? I too would like to know what you mean regarding the building textures, because they look fine to me.

Edited by Christopher Low, 19 May 2014 - 11:49 am.

#18 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:01 pm

I am showing an overall improvement in FSX [ i7 3770K 3.5GHz GTX 670 2Gb ]

30fps (locked) sat on end of 07 in the trike without s720 ksba

With ksba & 

static a/c 27

add cars 25

add clutter & trees 20

add rw lights 18

add people  14

Edited by bruce, 19 May 2014 - 12:02 pm.

#19 Christopher Low

Christopher Low

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:03 pm

Are you running that i7 3770k at the stock frequency of 3.5Ghz?

#20 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:06 pm

Are you running that i7 3770k at the stock frequency of 3.5Ghz?

yes that's stock frequency, we haven't and won't overclock the work machines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Active

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users