30 replies to this topic

#1 cattz

cattz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:14 am

I like to install new scenery on a separate drive to my basic FSX install.(Original drive is filling up fast!!) sim720's Oban doesn't seem to offer an alternative  folder. So now I'd like to move the sim720 scenery folder to another drive. Is it best to remove both files from the FSX scenery library, then cut/paste the Oban stuff to a new drive/folder then re activate from FSX scenery. (does that make sense?) or is there a specific reason for only allowing install to the main FSX folder.

Thank you.

#2 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:38 am

Hey Symon, if you're running windows 7 this may be useful to you?

http://windows.micro...-a-new-location
Haven't tried it myself but I've heard if people who have without any problems...

Cheers k

Edited by kevin firth, 12 October 2013 - 10:38 am.

#3 cattz

cattz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:06 am

Hi Kevin, Good to see you and seems like all the usual suspects are getting here :D

Not sure that is going to help in this instance; I'm just waiting to know from these good people at SIM720 if there is a reason why an alternative folder option wasn't included.

Regards

Symon

#4 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:07 pm

Sorry for delay, I have spoken with our guys and can inform the following. The reason we do this auto install is because we do some change on off settings when we try and merge with other products. I have been told that you can install in another directory manually but files will need to be renamed. I will get a help topic raised on what is needed.

#5 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:08 pm

Hopefully thanks for the patience.

#6 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:15 pm

If people want to save space on their core FSX drive, perhaps they could just move the core files that don't change to a new scenery location and add that folder to FSX manually, meaning that they then wouldn't need to manually change file suffixes if, like me, they use scenery with both OrbX and photoscenery and need to use the configuration utility to switch between them :)

OFC, if it were possible to install into a custom directory and support any file switching there, that would be the most hassle free solution, but I'm not a coder, don't know whether that's possible, or what other complications it might introduce...?

#7 cattz

cattz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:27 pm

OK. thanks Guys. No hurry. I can keep Oban on my main FSX drive for now. But further SIM720 sceneries..........Mmmmmmm ??  :(   :D

#8 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:43 pm

Guys this will be raised and we will get back to you.

#9 cattz

cattz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:49 pm

Guys this will be raised and we will get back to you.

Thank you.

#10 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:03 pm

Thanks Barry, your support is indeed legendary!

Edited by kevin firth, 13 October 2013 - 08:56 am.

#11 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:43 am

Hi Cattz,

We don't allow folder choice due to automating adding to the scenery library and our control panel. if you were to say install oban in f:\addon and then install the next airport at f:\addon2 the control panel would break and you would end up with multiple copies of the same files.

I will do a small write up next week of how to manually move the files once i have fully tested it and have my pc setup (just moved house yesterday and got a million boxes to unpack)

Paul

#12 cattz

cattz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:00 am

Hi Paul, thank you for your explanation.

I'm sure you will appreciate the need for adding further addons to an alternative drive as some of them are really big these days. I run my core FSX on a small Vrap disk and 2 additional 500GB disks for all addons. Constantly adding stuff to the Vrap would soon fill it up, so I look forward to whatever you come up with and thank you.

Good luck with the move, it's a very stressful time I know but I bet you get your PC up and running before you find the kettle  :lol:

Symon

#13 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:07 pm

Cattz, totally agree, firstly yes you do need a choice to save separately, and Paul will have his PC up before the kettle.

#14 BG2518

BG2518

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:02 pm

If you want to put "anything" from your boot drive to any other drive then use this....

http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

I have used it for various sub directories off of FSX to free up space on what is a 500mb SSD.

They now reside happily on a separate internal 2TB HD and none of this affects the FSX config or anything else.

e.g.

Anything ORBX, VFR GEN-X, Airplanes, etc etc

How you use it is up to you BUT do PRACTICE first with some dummy directories before you commit to moving the linked folder contents.

Remember this does NOT move the source folder, you have to do this.  It just sets up the linkage that thereafter the OS and installers don't care above so long as they have their path off of C:/... they don't care.

I'll be using it with sim720 stuff also in due course.

Hope this helps !!

Edited by BG2518, 31 October 2013 - 01:03 pm.

• Nick Svejdal likes this

#15 cattz

cattz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:17 pm

Thank you for that info and link. I appreciate your response and I'll take a closer look at that.

However, I would prefer a SIM720 answer to an alternative location even if it means a continuous location for all SIM720 products as is the case for 'Scotflight' stuff. There the end user has the choice on the initial product installation but all subsequent products must be installed (as I understand it) to that same location.

I also have other outstanding issues which need resolving before I install any further SIM720 products.

#16 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:28 pm

Hi Cattz,

I'm still trying to find a way to allow the user to select a folder without breaking our control panel and scenery inserter but you are correct once moved all our stuff would need to be there.

The above solution will work fine if you move the whole SIM720 folder.

Paul

#17 cattz

cattz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:41 pm

Thanks Paul, are you saying that, with the present installation, I can cut and paste the SIM720 folders to another drive? I presume I would then have to re direct the location within the scenery library or perhaps delete from the library - move the install folders- manually add to the scenery library (as I had to initially!!) would that all work?

Does any of that make sense?  :D

#18 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:45 pm

Hi,

Haven't had time to test this 100% yet but from what i have read where others have done this you move the folder to say "d:\SIM720" and then use the linker to link "{fsx/p3d}\SIM720" folder to "d:\SIM720" this makes the computer think its still at the original location.

I will hopefully have some time tonight and will test it and do a step by step guide if it works.

Paul

#19 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:57 pm

Hi,

I've done a FAQ post on how to move the folder http://forum.sim720....older-location/

Any questions just ask

Paul

• Nick Svejdal likes this

#20 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:18 pm

Paul, do you ever stop being a star.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Answered

0 user(s) are reading this topic