#1 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:36 am

"As is"

This video I downsized from 2560 x 1600 to 1080p (which is not the same aspect ratio hence black bars left/right side) and heavy compression for YouTube quality (8Mbps data rate) ... wish I could show you the native captured footage (truly "as is") but I think I was up around 32GB combined clips (for about 6 minutes).

The usual suspects:

Sim720 Oban Airport/Area

REX OD

FSGRW

Horizon VFR Scotland

AccuFeel

DX10 Fixer  (bloomed enabled)

Alabeo PA38

LOD_RADIUS = 11.0

Textures = 2048

Cloud Draw Distance = 160mi

Rob.

Edited by Rob Ainscough, 13 October 2013 - 03:41 am.

• Keith Lewis likes this

Rob.

#2 Keith Lewis

Keith Lewis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:21 am

great video my friend :)

#3 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:23 am

Glad you like Keith, now if I could just get the runway lights to work with DX10, I could get some really nice sunrise and sunset shots/video going.

Rob

Rob.

#4 mickrick

mickrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:28 am

Nice one :rolleyes: 

#5 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:55 am

Hi Rob, nice vid but you have GenX airport buildings active there as well. You need to deactivate the Oban airport file in your GenX airports folder to get rid of them. :) Also, did you install using the photoscenery option in the control panel? It looks like the Oban photoscenery base is not quite matching colour wise?
I've never looked into making FS vids before, would you please let us know what you used to capture it and how easy it was please? I might just have a go. :P cheers k

#6 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:45 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a go ... maybe it'll fix my runway lights issue also?

Yes, I used Photoscenery option in Control Panel (currently running Default, but have tried all three) -- but I am confused about exactly what the "REFRESH" button is supposed to do?  Just tells me it's going to change a .BGL ... am I supposed to change the control panel settings then hit "Refresh" button (I've been assuming that's what I need to do)?  Assuming that "Refresh" really means "Apply"?

I use Fraps for my FS videos ... easy to use but to record at 2560 x 1600 30 fps (or higher) requires considerable PC computing power (it will have a small impact in FPS while flying).  I use Adobe Premiere Pro to do simple edits and transitions only (no special effects or other post processing, like to keep it "as is").  Adobe has presets for exporting to YouTube for 1080p, but if you want to go higher then you'll need a customer H.264 setup using Level 5.0 or higher data rates/compression.  Yes, give it a try ... but be aware that YouTube videos are highly compressed so you don't see the same visual quality you do with a native Fraps capture ... just a compromise of bandwidth and file size.

Edited by Rob Ainscough, 13 October 2013 - 05:46 pm.

Rob.

#7 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:58 pm

It may do, you'll find there are two files in the GenX airports folder that you need to just add the .off file suffix to to deactivate them :). As far as I understand yes, refresh = apply :)
What kind of PC grunt do you think is needed? I'm running a 2500K over clocked at 4.7Ghz. I've never ever used flaps before, it is easy to use or does it require a bit of learning? (I don't have a massive amount of time to do new things ATM !). I think I've always been put off by people who say it has a massive impact on frames?
Cheers k

Edited by kevin firth, 13 October 2013 - 05:58 pm.

#8 Christopher Low

Christopher Low

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:31 pm

I hope that's a typo, Kevin. Not using flaps is well dodgy when you want to land! :lol:

• Barry Hudson likes this

#9 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:38 pm

Hahaha! Got me there Chris! In my defence I cite Apple autocorrect :P

#10 Barry Hudson

Barry Hudson

Staff

• Staff
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:03 pm

So so funny. News flash Kevin never uses FLAPS.

#11 Paul Webster

Paul Webster

Staff

• Staff
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:07 pm

Just to clarify the REFRESH button copied our custom autogen file back in-case it gets overwritten, to use the control panel just click the option you want and its applied instantly.

Paul

#12 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:53 pm

It may do, you'll find there are two files in the GenX airports folder that you need to just add the .off file suffix to to deactivate them :). As far as I understand yes, refresh = apply :)
What kind of PC grunt do you think is needed? I'm running a 2500K over clocked at 4.7Ghz. I've never ever used flaps before, it is easy to use or does it require a bit of learning? (I don't have a massive amount of time to do new things ATM !). I think I've always been put off by people who say it has a massive impact on frames?
Cheers k

Hmmm ... GenX airports?  Oh you mean VFR Scotland airports?  I don't have any VFR Scotland airports/airfields installed (only UK ones).  But I did a quick search for EGEO*.BGL, nothing found on any of my drivers other than in Sim720 folder.

Paul, thanks for the clarification, Refresh button not required.

Rob.

#13 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:08 pm

There is a Volume 7/airports folder in my installation.  Within that there is a scenery folder with EGEO_Oban.BGL and EGEO_Oban_CVX.  You definitely need to disable EGEO_Oban.BGL to remove the ugly default buildings....

#14 Christopher Low

Christopher Low

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:30 pm

Kevin is right. If you have installed VFR Scotland Central, then you will also have versions of Oban and other airports in the region that have been modified to match the photoscenery. I use Scotflight, so I just disable the GenX versions of Scottish airports in the Scenery Menu.

#15 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:46 pm

There is a Volume 7/airports folder in my installation.  Within that there is a scenery folder with EGEO_Oban.BGL and EGEO_Oban_CVX.  You definitely need to disable EGEO_Oban.BGL to remove the ugly default buildings....

Found'em, renamed them with .OFF extension, but sadly the "ugly" buildings are still there.  As is my lights problem during dawn, dusk, night.  Hmmm... anything else I can try?

Rob.

#16 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:48 pm

hmm, worked for me, have you actually shut down FSX and restarted it? Sometimes I find it gets a bit mischievous and doesn't forget renamed bgl's without a complete restart ;)

#17 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:33 am

Yeah, complete restart ... "I think I'm still getting the wrong buildings".  But Greg got my lights working correctly, missing effects and textures so not sure exactly what happened there?  Here is an image (2560 x 1600) ... do you have an image I can compare with?

http://robainscough....3f3bb388af8.jpg

Rob.

#18 kevin firth

kevin firth

Beta Tester

• Beta tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:02 am

No need, you're good to go from the other screenies you posted on another thread, as Greg says, the default buildings seem to be gone :) Enjoy! k

#19 Rob Ainscough

Rob Ainscough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:26 pm

What kind of PC grunt do you think is needed? I'm running a 2500K over clocked at 4.7Ghz.

I'm running a i7 3960X (6/12 core) @ 4.6Ghz with 32GB RAM and 2.5TB of very fast SSDs with a nNvidia GTX 680 4GB and a Titan 6GB, motherboard is an Asus Rampage IV (quad channel).

Thanks for the assistance Kevin.

Rob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users